Serial to Ethernet or 802.11 b/g Device Server
The SX-500 serial server allows sharing serial devices on traditional or wireless networks. It can be ordered with a wireless option that provides 802.11g LAN connectivity in addition to Ethernet.
- Industry-leading security including WPA, WPA2, and WEP, plus 802.1x authentication with the most commonly used EAP types
- Easiest way to connect an existing RS-232 device to a wireless or wired network
- The provided Serial Port Emulator software allows for easy integration with existing PC applications.
- The unit can withstand electrostatic discharges as high as 15 kV at the seria connector.
Typical end user applications include
- Industrial automation
- Building automation
- Medical devices
- Security access and control
- Point of sale
- LED signs
- Any other M2M or SCADA application utilizing serial connectivity
- Serial printers
- Virtually any other products with a serial port
Features and Benefits:
The SX-500 serial server family allows sharing serial devices on traditional or wireless networks. It can be ordered with a wireless option that provides 802.11g LAN connectivity in addition to Ethernet. The provided Serial Port Emulator software allows for easy integration with existing PC applications.
The SX-500 serial servers include enterprise-level security features including:
- Access control lists
- Complete protocol and application enable/disable control
- Read and write configuration passwords
- SNMP community name configuration
- 802.1x Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP)
- Transport Layer Security (TLS)
- Tunneled Transport Layer Security (TTLS)
- Lightweight Extensible Authentication Protocol (LEAP)
- Protected Extensible Authentication Protocol (PEAP)
- Flexible Authentication via Secure Tunneling (FAST)
- Open System or Shared Key support with Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) encoding
- WPA (Wi-Fi Protected Access) Personal (WPA-PSK) and Enterprise modes, which utilize improved encryption via the Temporal Key Integrity Protocol (TKIP); and WPA2, which adds Advanced Encryption Standard (AES).
The enclosure is made of rugged pre-plated galvanized steel with an IP40 industrial-grade rating. Side flange mounts allow for permanent installation on virtually any surface, or on a DIN rail using the optional DIN rail mounting bracket. The unit can withstand electrostatic discharges as high as 15 kV at the serial connector.
Easy to Manage
In addition to a built-in web browser interface, Silex provides ExtendView, a Windows utility for easy configuration and management. A console accessible via TELNET or the serial port is available for more sophisticated diagnostics and configuration.
The SX-500 series is also compatible with the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) for compatibility with most popular network management systems. The included Serial Port Emulator software allows you to configure virtual serial ports on a Windows system (for example, COM3) that redirect all of thedata out to the silex serial servers on your network allowing you to continue use of your current applications.
Tested for Maximum Compatibility
Silex wireless serial servers have been tested extensively to support the security methods used in leading access points and radius servers.
Dimensions: 125.73 x 75.11 x 24.08 mm (4.95 x 2.957 x 0.948 inches)
Operating Temperature: 0° to 50° C
Storage Temperature: -20° to 70° C
Maximum Temperature Change Per Hour: 20° C
Relative Humidity, Operating: 10% to 90% non-condensing
Relative Humidity, Storage: 10% to 90% non-condensing
Altitude: 3.1km (operating; 9km (storage)
Serial Interface: RS232C (DSUB9) x 1 port; up to 921Kbps
Ethernet Interface: (SX-500-0031/033) 10Base-T and 100Base-T (autosensing)
Wireless Interface: (SX-500-1031/1033) 802.11b/g; 54, 48, 36, 24, 18, 11, 9, 6, 5.5, 2, and 1 Mbps; 2.4GHz ISM band
Power Supply: Supplied from AC adaptor (included) or through pin 9 on DBSUB9 connector
Electrical: 500mA@+5V max (wired models); 800mA@+5V max (wireless models)
Standards Compliance: FCC & CE Class B EMC standards; FCC Part 15 & CE wireless standards; RoHS; RFC 2217
Supported Protocols: ARP, TCP, Telnet, ICMP, SNMP, DHCP, BOOTP, Auto IP, HTTP, SMTP, TFTP, SLP, DNS, Dynamic DNS
Management and Utilities: Serial Port Emulator, ExtendView (GUI), Web Browser Interface, Command Line Console (accessible via serial port or TELNET), SNMP MIB I and II, Firmware Download via TCP/IP (master or slave mode TFTP, BOOTP with multiple server download), On-Line HELP
Wireless Security: WPA and WPA2 (personal and enterprise modes), PAP, MS-CHAPv2, 802.1x EAP with TLS/TTLS/ LEAP/PEAP/FAST, WEP
Click on the contents file below to download the latest documentation for your product.
Unless otherwise noted, the documentation is in PDF format and requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to view.
Documentation for SX-500 FIPS 140-2 version only